Teri’s Knotted Pearl Necklace
Teri’s Knotted Pearl Necklace is a stylish twist on a timeless classic. Everybody loves hand knotted pearls. Teri gives us a great way to freshen them up using sassy colored pearls and fun Vintaj charms.
You Will Need:
3 pieces of brass chain (1/4 inch, ½ inch and ¾ inch)
Size 5 Griffin pearl knotting silk (2 meters)
8mm teal freshwater pearls (1 strand)
Vintaj charm, sunflower charm and teeny lizard charms
5mm Vintaj jump rings (4)
7mm Vintaj jump ring
Size 11 seed beads OR 2mm Swarovski crystals
Awl or knotting tweezers
1. Tie a knot in the end of the knotting silk opposite the needle. Thread the needle through the hole in the hinge of one clamshell. Pull the silk all the way through, so the knot sits in the cup of the clamshell. Tie a knot and press it against the outside of the clamshell, using your awl or tweezers.
2. Leave a ¾ inch space. Tie another knot and pull it tight. String on one seed bead, one pearl and another seed bead. Tie a knot and press it against the seed bead, using your awl or tweezers.
3. Repeat this technique until you reach the desired length. Be careful to use an even number of pearls! (Teri’s is 18 inches long.) Add the second clamshell and carefully knot inside the cup. Apply superglue to both knots, trim the silk and press both clamshells closed.
4. Open the loop on one clamshell, string on the trigger clasp and curl the loop closed.
5. Open the loop on the second clamshell, string on the 7mm jump ring and curl the loop closed. You now have a functional necklace!
6. Carefully open one 5mm jump ring. String on the end link of all three pieces of brass chain and the silk in the center open space. Carefully close the jump ring.
7. Carefully open one 5mm jump ring. String on the other end of the longest piece of chain as well as the loop at the top of the butterfly charm. Carefully close the jump ring.
8. Carefully open one 5mm jump ring. String on the other end of the medium piece of chain as well as the loop at the top of the sunflower charm. Carefully close the jump ring.
9. Carefully open the last 5mm jump ring. String on the other end of the shortest piece of chain as well as the loop at the top of the teeny lizard charm. Carefully close the jump ring. Your necklace is finished!