How Do I Get My Arizona Resale License?

Here’s a repeat of an oldie but goodie re-posting that will help you figure our how to get your Arizona Transaction Priviledge Tax, which is a prerequisite for wholesale shopping!

One of the questions I get most often is, “How do I get my wholesale license?” In the state of Arizona, you will need to obtain a state Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) License. You can accomplish this task online at the Arizona Department of Commerce web site. You are often also required to have a license from the city in which your business is located. The state TPT license, however, is the one you need to qualify as a wholesale company. Once you obtain your state TPT license, here’s how you register as a wholesale client at Bead World: bring us a photocopy of your state TPT license and fill out a short worksheet. That’s it! Once this is done, you qualify for a 20% discount off almost everything in the store and you are sales tax exempt for all resellable jewelry items.

Starting a jewelry business and getting your wholesale license has a lot of great advantages:

  • earn extra money doing something you love
  • gain entrance into “wholesale only” gem shows
  • obtain discounts at many bead stores, including Bead World
  • be permitted to order from “wholesale only” web sites or purchase at different prices
  • write off expenses at tax time

Of course, there are responsibilities that come with running a beading business, too. In addition to the job of making and selling jewelry, you will also have to handle the business aspects:

  • sending monthly sales tax reports to your city and state
  • filing income taxes annually as a small business
  • keeping track of all of your expenses for tax purposes

Most wholesale clients find that the duties and responsibilities are quite small compared to the benefits of maintaining their wholesale TPT license.

6 comments on “How Do I Get My Arizona Resale License?
  1. raha85 says:

    I’m not sure if you need a business license to buy gold for resale but the State of Arizona has a very good website that explains how to get a business license. It also explains which businesses need a license.

    auction blog

  2. Emily Belle says:

    Raha85, you will need a second hand license to buy gold for resale in AZ. Every city in AZ has different requirements for buying gold.

  3. jyoti soni says:

    Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page wholesale license  DLC Network offer all kind of dealer and brokers licensing solutions including auction license.

  4. Trent says:

    So if i’m going to be buying wholesale and selling on Ebay, I need to get my TPT do I also need to get a business license?

    • Lezli Goodwin says:

      A TPT is what allows you to buy at wholesale/tax exempt prices and resell your goods. Each site & state has different regulations for specific requirements, so I would check with whichever sites you’ll be selling on and the state you’ll be selling in to see if the business license is required on top of the TPT.

    • Jay J says:

      If your business is based in AZ, but you are selling to a customer who is not in AZ, you won’t need AZ TPT. However, if your business is based in AZ and you’re selling online, you may have an AZ customer purchase your product. In that case, you would need AZ TPT. So, long-story-short, it’s best to have a TPT license in AZ. Also, that TPT can be used for sites like this one as your resale tax license.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *